Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Battletech Returns...someday

General Games Officer - Knight of Chutzpah - 10 Year Member Daemoro's Avatar

Arcade

Re: Battletech Returns...someday

Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    I would have to say it is also my most look forward game of the year as well... and I agree, I think that this game might have a lot more tactical nuances than the original Battletech game... I am particularly fond of the tactical aspects that ammo weapons now bring to the table in the form of stability checks. To me that makes the option of taking ammo based weapons a tougher choice. In TT, I would if I could bring all energy weapons because the downsides to ammo based weapons was too much. Energy weapons were just a better choice all around. That isn't the case here, and it all makes sense which is excellent. This might be one of the best games, and I really hope it is.
    This is exactly my thought process. I VERY RARELY took ammo weapons in tabletop (we always customized our mechs). I'm curious how much ammo costs/availability is going to affect my mech choices in the single player campaign where I assume every credit counts vs my mech choices for pvp. I generally don't worry much about pvp but I probably will do it in this game.

Also the nuances added are so much easier to implement when the computer is handling the calculations. That was always one of the tough parts for my group of gamers, when to play Battletech because it took so damn long!
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

"I'm the funniest person I know."

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

Not only do ammo weapons add to stability damage, they increased the amount of damage they do. AC/2s do 5 damage, AC/5's do 10 damage and AC/10's do 15 damage. Each LRM does 4 points of damage and each SRM does 10 points damage. They did increase the armor x5, so energy weapons have been greatly nerfed really compared to TT. But yeah for the campaign when every CBill matters, it is going to be an interesting balance. Of course everything is subject to change.

Arcade

One of my favorite lances was a 100 ton mech with jump jets, an axe, triple strength myomers, a C3 system and filled up with medium lasers. When he was in range the other 3 mechs that were nothing but LRM boats with C3 would rain destruction targets from behind cover. It's probably easily defended against but OMG it was fun. I only played that setup in two battles but I had 3 one shot kills with that axe. Most of the rest were opened up by the axe and then LRMs would hit the internals.

I know there won't be C3 and TSM in this game at least at the start but I would REALLY like to recreate that lance in this game.
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

I am sure there won't be Melee weapons and TSM, however there is sort of C3 in this game already. If you watch the video between Mitch and Mike, the Panther spots for the Catapult and it looked like it not only extended the range of his LRMs but also increased their to hit percentage.

It is going to be a learning curve. Some of the devs shared their experiences in the forums on what works. They have mainly a few different styles of play which is good. LRM beatdown, knockdown is one, but long range sniping is another and fast, melee is another. I think the point is that there isn't one way to win, at least that is the devs stance on it.

Arcade

Since they already put in melee attacks, then I wouldn't think the Axe would be a problem other than WHEN this occurs in the BT timeline. The melee weapons basically used the same mechanics as punching with a mech, only better damage if memory serves.

Again though if they stick to the timeline then melee weapons would still be a little ways out.... but they put a Raven in their initial video release so who's to say
    --Daemoro

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

they are sticking to the timeline... the Raven is an old mech of Star League design, but since this is 3025, don't expect it to have ECM as it won't. Still a useful mech, just not incredibly useful.

Arcade

I just love that they put the Death From Above mechanic in, sweet!
    Games with OTG
    GW2/ TOR/ CoH/ AoC/ Rift/ WoW/ DDO/ LOTR/ Champions Online/ Runes of Magic/ StarTrek/ Warhammer online/ EQ2/ Secret World/ Wildstar/ ESO/ Skyforge

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

high risk, high reward... or you fall on your back and get killed...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information