Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Thursday Scales of War 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with MadHermit)

Thursday Scales of War 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with MadHermit)

By popular demand, the Thursday group will be treated to my 5E adaptation of the 4E adventure path: The Scales of War. Thursday group, please post to let me know if you are on board with this.

The games will run on Thursday nights from 8:00 pm Eastern until 11:00.

Adventure background:

The Elders at Overlook (a Dwarven city a weeks travel west of Brindol, in the foothills just beyond the Westdeep forest) have sent out a call to arms, asking for mercenaries and adventuring groups to aid in their defense in face of a looming threat of orc invasion. There is to be an important meeting for adventure groups in two weeks time. This is just the opportunity your fledgling adventure group has been looking for, or perhaps it is the reason you assembled together in the first place. You've all agreed to meet in Brindol and then head to Overlook together from there. Some of you may be from Brindol or some of the surrounding town, and cities (we can work that out at character creation).

I found a nice document that gives the background of the campaign world. SOW Player's Guide PDF You don't need to read through the background document, but it is there for players who want a better view of the setting.

Setting Rules Variants

Characters should be built using the point buy variant, no rolled stats. Anything from the Player's Handbook or the Elemental Evil Player's Companion should be okay. I don't have the Sword Coast book, so I don't feel comfortable using that.

The one concession I would ask is that everyone's character be heroic in some way. This campaign is all about saving the world, so characters that are just in it for money will probably feel railroaded -- heroes only need apply.

Because the adventures will level up in a predictable way, I will be giving out level advances based on story progression instead of xp from combat and quests (generally it will be one and rarely 2 levels per adventure). Hopefully this will encourage people to seek non-combat solutions to problems sometimes and avoid the feeling that you need to kill everything just to get the extra xp.

From PHB:

Human racial variants is allowed

Feats are allowed.

From DMG:
    Rules for poisons, including harvesting. Note that poisons are usually illegal and will require finding and gaining the trust of a seller if you want to purchase them. They are expensive too.

Flanking variant will be used.

Action Option: Climb onto a creature (pending if it gets silly)

Action Option: Overrun

Action Option: Shove Aside

Action Option: Tumble

Not using Action Options: Disarm or Mark

House Rules:

Stealth
    Becoming Hidden
    “You can’t hide from a creature that can see you,…”
    In combat you must not be visible, even partially, to any opponents in order to hide. This requires, invisibility, total cover or heavy obscurement. Some abilities may grant exceptions to this rule.

Staying Hidden
    You can maintain stealth and move through locations that are lightly obscured or where you have partial cover, even though you can’t become hidden in those conditions.

Making noise, attacking an enemy, or casting (most) spells will also make you lose stealth, unless you have an ability that says otherwise.

Potions

Potions are a broad category that includes not only regular potions, but also oils, salves and other liquid magic items. Alchemy is the most common form of magic in the Elsir Vale, and alchemy shops are available in most towns and cities, although the more rare potions are usually only found in the largest cities.

Common and uncommon potions are nearly always available, while rare and higher potions may require a special order, if they are available at all.

Rarity Cost (gp)
    Common 50
    Uncommon 250
    Rare 2,500
    Very Rare 25,000
    Legendary 250,000

Creating Potions

Characters skilled in the use of an alchemist kit can craft their own potions. The cost to create them is half the normal purchase price and requires 1 day of work per tier. Some potions may also require special ingredients, which must be supplied in addition to the base cost.

Scrolls

Players with the spellcasting ability can create scrolls. The spell must be one that they have memorized and the process is quite laborious, often taking several days. In addition, special inks and parchments are required, along with the costs of any material components.

Because the spell is translated into a form that any spellcaster can access, it is necessary to simplify the spell wording, therefore the Save DC and Attack Bonus are fixed by the spell level. In addition, the spell is always cast at its base level; it is not possible to create a higher level spell scroll for a lower level spell.

Spell Level Save DC Attack Bonus Cost (gp) Time (days)
    Cantrip 13 +5 50 1
    1st 13 +5 50 1
    2nd 13 +5 250 1
    3rd 15 +7 250 2
    4th 15 +7 2,500 2
    5th 17 +9 2,500 3
    6th 17 +9 25,000 3
    7th 18 +10 25,000 4
    8th 18 +10 25,000 4
    9th 19 +11 250,000 5

Buying Magic Items

Magic items are expensive and difficult to produce, often taking months or even years to produce all but the most mundane of items. (the exception being potions and scrolls, see above) Despite the cost, a market exists for these items among wealthy adventurers and noblemen. In large cities, magic shops often exist, although they are more like brokerage services, with the proprietor using his connections to connect buyers with sellers and making a handsome profit in the meantime.

Brokers buy low and sell high. They will pay 1/10th of the base price to buy unwanted magic items, and if they have an item available, they will charge 10 times the base price. The prices listed below are in addition to the base cost of any item (i.e. weapon or armor cost).

Rarity Base Price (gp) Availability Delivery Time
    Common 100 100% Same Day
    Uncommon 500 80% 1d6 Days
    Rare 5000 50% 1d8 Days
    Very Rare 50,000 20% 1d10 Days
    Legendary 500,000 0% -

Of course, brokers are usually a last resort. If the character has the time, they can search for sellers on their own. A search requires one week and an Intelligence (Investigation) check with the DC from the table below. If two characters work together the roll can be made with advantage. On a successful check, a seller is found. The character then makes a Charisma (Persuasion) roll to negotiate a price and adds the result to a d100 plus the modifier for the item rarity listed below.

Rarity Investigation DC Result Modifier
    Common 15 +10
    Uncommon 18 0
    Rare 21 -10
    Very Rare 24 -20

Legendary items cannot be purchased from the market

d100 + Charisma (Persuasion) + rarity modifier:

d100+modifier Base Price Times
    20 or lower 10
    21-30 8
    31-40 6
    41-50 5
    51-60 4
    61-70 3
    71-80 2
    81 or higher 1

Selling Magic Items

Selling magic items works much like buying them, with the results table below.

d100+modifier Base Price Times
    20 or lower 0.1
    21-30 0.2
    31-40 0.3
    41-50 0.4
    51-60 0.5
    61-70 0.6
    71-80 0.8
    81 or higher 1

Deities

Speaking of setting, the adventure was written using the default 4E world, which was a bit of a mish-mosh of other D&D settings. For the most part this is inconsequential to our game. The only real impact is the assumed pantheon of gods. They are:

DAWN WAR DEITIES
    Deity Alignment Domains Symbol
    Asmodeus, god of tyranny LE Trickery Three triangles in tight formation
    Avandra, goddess of change and luck CG Trickery Three stacked wavy lines
    Bahamut, god of justice and nobility LG Life, War Dragon's head , in profile, facing left
    Bane, god of war and conquest LE War Claw with three talons pointing down
    Corellon, god of magic and the arts CG Light Eight-pointed star
    Erath is, goddess of civilization and invention LN Knowledge Upper half of a clockwork gear
    Gruumsh, god of destruction CE Tempest, War Triangular eye with bony protrusions
    loun, goddess of knowledge N Knowledge Crook shaped like a stylized eye
    Kord, god of strength and storms CN Tempest Sword with a lightning bolt cross guard
    Lolth , goddess of spiders and lies CE Trickery Eight· pointed star with a web motif
    Melora, goddess of wilderness and the sea N Nature, Tempest Wavelike swirl
    Moradin, god of creation LG Knowledge, War Flaming anvil
    Pelor, god of the sun and agriculture NG Life, Light Circle with six outwardly radiating points
    Raven Queen , goddess of death LN Life, Death Raven's head, in profile, facing left
    Sehanine, goddess of the moon CG Trickery Crescent moon
    Tharizdun , god of madness CE Trickery Jagged counter-clockwise spiral
    Tiamat, goddess of wealth, greed, and vengeance LE Trickery, War Five-pointed star with curved points
    Torog, god of the Underdark NE Death T attached to a circular shackle
    Vecna, god of evil secrets NE Death, Knowledge Partially shattered one-eyed skull
    Zehir, god of darkness and poison CE Trickery, Death Snake in the shape of a dagger

Obsidian Portal Page: http://friday-scales-of-war.obsidianportal.com/
    Last edited by Grapper; 05-06-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Re: Thursday Scales of War 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with MadHermit)

I'm super game! Grapper, you ran us through part of this adventure path some years ago in 4th edition, so I've encountered some of it before, but I remember very little. On the off chance that I do remember anything, I promise to play like I don't and obviously I won't give anything away! We also didn't get too far in due to a party wipe, and I just didn't have the heart to continue after my monk was melted, so I don't think we ever went through the second half.

Initially, I wanted to play a Warlock, but I've been re-thinking that a bit. I think now my favorite option would be an Eldritch Knight. I was bummed because the only Int based class was Wizard (I've found that I like playing smart characters), but then I looked into Fighter on a lark and noticed that an Eldritch Knight wants to be smart too!

That being the case, here's my new preferred character lineup!

1. Eldritch Knight (Tank)
    2. Warlock (DPS)
    3. Druid (Versatile)
    4. Cleric (Healer)

Tada! Super excited!
    DDO Character (Ghallanda) - Heffe el Fossa

Arcade

I'm in. Character ideas forthcoming.
    -Mad

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    ~Bertrand Russell

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by MadHermit View Post
    I'm in. Character ideas forthcoming.

Ditto as long as everyone is still ok with my leaving early and sometimes not showing up because of work.

I'm game. I need to find my books and look the classes over again.

General Games Officer - Knight of Chutzpah - 10 Year Member Daemoro's Avatar

Arcade

WOOT WOOT!

(That means I'm in)

I will play any role needed. I don't mind picking class last.

That being said I throw this idea out there for you all: Theme party!

First idea that comes to mind (because I've had this idea before): All Dragonborn characters! If we have 5 characters everybody picks a different metal. If we have 6 maybe 1 could be a Platinum Dragonborn (like a cleric or Paladin seems like it would fit best but that's just me).

Cons:
    1-Ability scores for Dragonborn are Str and Chr.
    -----Maybe Grapper would "flex" ability scores to equal other races to match the classes to allow for the theme to thrive OR our supreme gaming abilities could overcome any obstacle.

2-I can't think of another con right now but I used the plural and started a numbering system so I thought I should throw in a 2.

Pros:
    1- Coolness factor of an adventuring party of dragonborn and coming up with a name for said adventuring party might be easier.

2- At a level decided by Grapper the characters could merge together to form a multi-headed chromatic dragon that would rival Tiamat herself (like Voltron only in D&D)

Some of this may seem silly but it MY mind it is AWESOME!!!
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

"I'm the funniest person I know."

Arcade

Pro 3: No time wasted picking a deity... Bahamut!
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

10 Year Member, OUR MOST BELOVED BIG DADDY Wraith's Avatar

Arcade

I'm in as well.

Still thinking about characters.

BROS BEFORE MMOS
    H+

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm in as well.

Still thinking about characters.
    Start with "Which color of Dragonborn would I prefer?"
    --Daemoro

Pink

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoro View Post
    Start with "Which color of Dragonborn would I prefer?"
    Cloacae are too difficult to keep clean.

BROS BEFORE MMOS
    H+

Arcade

I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure you can't say that word in polite company.
    --Daemoro

Arcade

I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure you can't say that word in polite company.
    ...OR the ostrich!

BROS BEFORE MMOS
    H+

Quote Originally Posted by EddytEagle View Post
    Pink
    I'll get started on your token

http://img09.deviantart.net/650a/i/2...dameodessa.jpg
    Last edited by Grapper; 05-12-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Grapper, do you use the Encumbrance rule variant?

Because I'd rather not... It's too hard to carry all the heavy stuff I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugger View Post
    Grapper, do you use the Encumbrance rule variant?

Because I'd rather not... It's too hard to carry all the heavy stuff I need!
    I did with the other two groups and it is more of a pain than it is worth. Just make sure you stay under your max.

I seem to remember a halfling cleric who could only move 10 feet a turn because of armor and equipment encumbrance.
    I aim to misbehave.

The Rules of Stupid state that you should never (1) go to Stupid places, (2) with Stupid people, (3) at Stupid times, and (4) do Stupid things.

Wendigo walks in the cold woods. Hope that when it comes to your town, it passes you by. If the Cree and Chippewah were afraid of it, you can damn well bet your a$$ it was worthy of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by dstuff View Post
    I seem to remember a halfling cleric who could only move 10 feet a turn because of armor and equipment encumbrance.
    Yes, and then it turned into a whole thing with dropping backpacks at the start of each fight and it just became busywork.

Okay, I've pretty much obsessed over it as much as possible for the last week or so. I've come to the conclusion that I'd be happy playing any of the role types I listed in my first post, perhaps especially healer (the 5th edition cleric has a lot going for it).

Sorry Daemoro, I tend to lean very hard towards the human variant in all of my character set ups. Yes, I know humans are way more boring than dragonborn, but that extra feat just tastes so good!

Arcade

Lol I was wondering when someone would finally acknowledge my lunacy! It would have been cool though if Mad hadn't ruined it for everybody. .. just sayin.

Ok if you are leaning towards cleric I will lean away from it. I wasain't going to play one only if nobody else wanted to.
    --Daemoro

Arcade

Lunacy? I thought you were serious...

I mean at this point, who can tell anymore?

BROS BEFORE MMOS
    H+

Arcade

Well I was serious... but I doubted many people would like the idea as much as I did.... as for not being able to tell the difference I think that is a clear indication of lunacy
    --Daemoro

Arcade

It would have been cool though if Mad hadn't ruined it for everybody. .. just sayin.
    I guess it's what I get when trying to rush a post in on my phone right before getting in bed.... It was UGLY who poo-poo'd the Dragonborn idea NOT Mad.... sorry Mad.... I'm sure something else was your fault though... certainly not MINE!

And in typical Daemoro fashion since Grapper said we couldn't use stuff from a book he doesn't have I said "I didn't even know that book existed, I wonder what's in it?" Now I want to play a Bladesinger
    --Daemoro

Arcade

OK now on to what I'm considering playing, if anyone wants any of these please say so and I will back off.... it will help me pare down the list greatly(these are in in no particular order of desirability to me):

1- My Human Fey Paladin Glaive wielder from the first time I played this adventure (we didn't get too far in before I switched groups)
    2- Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut Sword and Board
    3- Human Warlock Blaster Spell Sniper
    4- Wood Elf Rogue Assassin Archer Sharpshooter
    5- Dagger Specialist- I've always wanted to build a knife fighter character but I've never been able to make it work
    6- Rogue Trapmonkey Scout Spotter
    7- Elf Bladesinger (just to give Grapper a migraine)
    8- Goliath Fighter or Barbaraian (hits stuff with big stuff)
    9- Birdman race-Aracoka? I know it's got more letters than that-Archer
    10- Dragonborn Bard-any race Bard really... I haven't gone down that path much yet
    11- Eldritch Knight because TANKMAGE!
    the list can go on....
    --Daemoro

Everything looks so good I can't decide...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information