Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilization 6

I prefer to be called Xintra. Xinra's Avatar

Arcade

Civilization 6

Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/2016...e-date-preview

Civilization 6 will be released October 21, 2016.
    Last edited by dreadhead; 05-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.

::: (\_(\
    *: (=’ :’)
    •.. (,(”)(”)€°.ΈΈ.•΄―`»...

Veteran Staff Member - Wordsmith Emeritus - 10 Year Member Magistos's Avatar

Arcade

Re: Ciliization 6

I have played this for 25 years. Egads. I welcome the next chapter.
    If you think, because she is dead, that I am weak, then you understand very little. If you were any part of killing her, and you’re not afraid, then you understand nothing at all. So, for your own sake, understand this.
    I am the Doctor. I'm coming to find you, and I will never, ever stop.

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

was checking that out this morning. the graphics look a little cartoony.. but like magistos, i have been playing the series since the beginning. steam tells me for civ v i have 1808 hours played...

hahaha

i really do like the new way they are taking with cities.. should be interesting
    LO...fear the keg..as I approach. for soon it will be gone and there will be crying and lamenting

Haven't had a chance to read up much on this, but seems they are bringing back stacking units. Hopefully it is only certain units can stack with others. Now that I got use to Civ 5, don't think I want to go back to the large stacks of units method. Either way, will still be buying it though. :p

CAMPER!!...And LM's Friend- 10 Year Member Rance's Avatar

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Magistos View Post
    I have played this for 25 years. Egads. I welcome the next chapter.
    Me too! Feeling a tad old here but wise in the ways of Gandhi, that sneaky little sucker, he's the reason I never open my borders to anyone!

and here's another preview:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...on-vi-details/

Membership Officer First Officer - aka Calgistowyn - STOP FLINGING STAPLERS!!! Crowe's Avatar

Arcade

Civ 5 didn't really bring much new/cool to the series. Civ 6 will really need to up the game. From the description, I didn't see anything new other than "combined arms" which is probably going to be a PITA to pre-guess before you try stacking. That said, I'll keep an eye on this. Duh. I almost had to change majors in college due to Civ2...

Concentrate Plus Champion Space Gate Champion
    Arcade

Trying to avoid 'complaining gamer' syndrome. I'd like to see what is unique about this release. I love the Civ games, but sometimes I feel like there needs to be some ground breaking new stuff. We'll see. Maybe the Civ 5 expansions I have yet to buy, will finally be discounted properly as a set

I loved what they did with Beyond Earth.

Maniocles Legacy: Tymantyr 50+ Gunslinger, T'leara 50+ Sentinel, Tiimo 50+ Powertech, Tmti'moniu'ssrk 50+ Operative, Tel'aruu 50+ Warrior, Timoniuus 50+ Inquisitor

Planetside 2: Server: Mattherson Name: Timonius
    STEAM: [OTG] Timonius (log into Steam to view)
    ESO: @Timonius
    ORIGIN: TimoniusOTG

"If I come out will you shoot me? 'cause then I won't come out." Agent Coulson - S.H.I.E.L.D.

Moderator -
    OTG Ambassador

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Civ 5 didn't really bring much new/cool to the series. Civ 6 will really need to up the game. From the description, I didn't see anything new other than "combined arms" which is probably going to be a PITA to pre-guess before you try stacking. That said, I'll keep an eye on this. Duh. I almost had to change majors in college due to Civ2...
    Improved AI' of course and they've re-done city building.. you use more than one hex and the landscape affects what you (should) build there.
    Link on how to pronounce Decebal [-] My guide on forum use [-] Link to the OTG Midwest group

Here's a useful link for anyone that may not know. These guys will cover everything that is possible to discuss and then some.

CivFanatics Civ6 Subforum

They usually run a monthly game on a premade map for everyone for all the series games.

Arcade

I loved the game of the month thing they did for civ 4... I always sucked at it, but it was a lot of fun to download a pre-made game at turn 1 and try to finish it.

I dunno if they ever really got that fully working for civ 5. They had used an anti-cheat thing for the civ 4 games to ensure you couldn't keep reloading from saves and cheat your way to victory, but I remember they were waiting for a LONG time to get something similar for civ 5.

Hopefully civ 6 may consider that have have something built-in to make it easier to tell.

Yeh, I never turned a game in, but liked it because it would force me to play the game in a different way than my normal domination mode I enjoy the most. Lol, I new I was never going to compete against some of those guys that turn in mind-boggling wins.

The Old Timers Guild

Arcade

I don't want unit stacking. I still have nightmares about that.

Arcade

Of course you know... this means war! No, really... I am compelled to go grab all the "game of the month" files from civfanatics and try to play civ 5 again.... and stellaris... and BDO. Gonna need more coffee!!!!

10 Year Member, Turning Right to go Left - MALP "I just got killed by my cart" Myth's Avatar

North Carolina - Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
    Arcade

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/...iv-6-ign-first

Kinda looks like a Settlers or HoMM game world.

General Games Officer - My Kid Stole My Tank and I Speak You Soothe TehArgz's Avatar

Arcade

I dunno, I don't think the Civ series has really changed that much since Civ II or III. I find it hard to be too excited about Civ VI. My enjoyment of EU4 doesn't help either. I don't think Civ hold up very well in comparison (especially considering how much money has been poured into that series over the decades).
    Call me a wet blanket, but meh. I'm not going to want to throw down $60+++ for a prettier Civ4/5.
    If you are easily offended, I'll probably offend you, so let's just get on with the outrage.

All our lawn are belong to us.

Arcade

To me, the biggest positive change since Civ 3 was the elimination of unit stacking and use of a hex map in Civ 5. It leads to other issues, but at least it makes the game more tactical, since you can use units to control choke points on the map, rather than just building giant stacks and hoping your number is bigger than their number.

The biggest problem Civ still has though is the harsh jumps in technology. With stacks, it was *possible* for somebody with 50 samurai units to slaughter somebody's shiny new tank or machine gun unit.... without stacks, higher tech always wins. This could be alleviated somewhat if they'd implement a supply mechanic, so you had to build and defend supply lines, not just plunk farms/mines/etc down all around each city and call it good.

Another thing might be to give units experience gains (maybe it has this, I haven't played in a while), so they creep up towards the next highest tech level in strength as they fight and don't die.

Units gain experience in Civ5. I almost always build 3 warriors at the beginning of the game to make a highly trained phalanx to absorb damage for my main army. Then add 3 archers for artillery support. Once they upgrade to 3 hex archers(4 if your playing England), that group is pretty much unstoppable even if the AI out tech me. That's one of the topics being discussed at CivFanatics on what Firaxis will do with regards to how the AI handles artillery.

I prefer to be called Xintra. Xinra's Avatar

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
    Units gain experience in Civ5. I almost always build 3 warriors at the beginning of the game to make a highly trained phalanx to absorb damage for my main army. Then add 3 archers for artillery support. Once they upgrade to 3 hex archers(4 if your playing England), that group is pretty much unstoppable even if the AI out tech me. That's one of the topics being discussed at CivFanatics on what Firaxis will do with regards to how the AI handles artillery.
    I'm saving that strategy. Thanks for the tip.

::: (\_(\
    *: (=’ :’)
    •.. (,(”)(”)€°.ΈΈ.•΄―`»...

Quote Originally Posted by Timonius View Post
    Trying to avoid 'complaining gamer' syndrome. I'd like to see what is unique about this release. I love the Civ games, but sometimes I feel like there needs to be some ground breaking new stuff. We'll see. Maybe the Civ 5 expansions I have yet to buy, will finally be discounted properly as a set

I loved what they did with Beyond Earth.
    Ua I agree been playing Civ sense Civ 1 and while I really enjoyed the games never really seemed to grow that much for me. Just a couple of new items styles added and better graphics. That sais I more then lickly will be getting it.

Arcade

Re: Civilization 6

It is definitely sounding good now. I like those fine touches like the in-engine rendered wonder building videos.

Maniocles Legacy: Tymantyr 50+ Gunslinger, T'leara 50+ Sentinel, Tiimo 50+ Powertech, Tmti'moniu'ssrk 50+ Operative, Tel'aruu 50+ Warrior, Timoniuus 50+ Inquisitor

Planetside 2: Server: Mattherson Name: Timonius
    STEAM: [OTG] Timonius (log into Steam to view)
    ESO: @Timonius
    ORIGIN: TimoniusOTG

"If I come out will you shoot me? 'cause then I won't come out." Agent Coulson - S.H.I.E.L.D.

Arcade

In case anyone else is watching the shiny new Civ 6 videos and feeling nostalgic for "one more turn" of Civ 5.... I downloaded all the "Game of the Month" games from civfanatics and put them in my onedrive share thingy.

You can, of course, go to the real forums and find them there... I even got one of the admins to make a sticky thread with links to them so you can find them without having to paw through years of postings. If you do use the ones I'll link below, the pdf files are just the first page of the forum posting that announced each game... so it has the map, starting conditions, and initial comments (which are spoiler free).

One note.... the older games especially may or may not load up in 2016's Civ V. Many of them want various DLC bits, and who knows if they work with the current game? I don't, yet.

Anyways, the link to what I have.
    And the link to the forums in general.

Enjoy!

OMG, that must have taken awhile!

I have an ongoing campaign with Egypt right now, very rarely play it though. The time I have to game gets sucked up by ESO, I barely get more done than crafting writs during the week and then some story line questing on the weekend and a little shiny farming, of course. Guess it's good in a way, never will be wanting for new content in that game, lol.

Think I will definitely be putting horsemen to use in Civ6. Looks like a river is still very important.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information