Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Civilization 6

Game Development - Game Development News Officer - Annoyed by dangling dongles BuzWeaver's Avatar

Arcade

Re: Civilization 6

Great to read what all you guys have been experiencing with the game. I've just started a new Playthrough on my channel with Germany. The patch did help with a few things, however, Civ Leader interaction still needs tweaking. When you guys make it up to King difficulty you can forget Cadillacing Turns towards your victory, a Civ Leader will pull Science or Culture Victory right from under you. In King difficulty and up you WILL get attacked by your neighbor and barbarians are insane. While playing a Culture victory with England I pretty much had it in the bag then nearly out of nowhere Freddy, Monty, and Tomy was in their last stages of a science victory. As a matter of fact, Tomy was nearly neck and neck with me in Culture but was also in the last stages of Science victory.

During the last 15 turns, Monty and Harald decided to do a join war on me. This was great news because Monty was on his last requirement for a science victory. Keep in mind here, Monty was having a revolt and his industrial zones and other tiles were pillaged, yet he managed to pull off the science victory. I was within a few turns of winning. Granted, I should have been more proactive going after him once he and Harald declared the joint war or even more specifically I should have attacked Monty a few turns earlier.

I had 4 spies (1 upgraded) in Monty's cities, they really need to work on spy progression and upgrades because I had those spies there for over 70+ turns and they weren't getting hardly any upgrades or percentage changes to damage his space program. Granted, Monty could have counter spies, but still, the only way to stop another Civ in King difficulty or higher is to simply attack them, period. Unless at some time people figure out another strategy to deal with runaway Civ victories.

I'm hoping the dev team will take a closer look at Warmongering. As I mentioned earlier in King difficulty or higher your neighbor will attack you, BUT if you continue to fight them beyond when they negotiate for peace you're labeled a Warmonger throughout the entire game. Civ Leader trade is broken and will need to be adjusted. Trying to trade for items/resources/culture pieces is just straight up absurd. The irony is that you can just about exploit a Civ during a peace negotiation, not in all cases but sometimes I'm able to get all their stuff including money.

Also, I'm not sure why it's fine to get a screen full of gossip spam, but no City Population Notification? Housing/Amenities is still a bit of a pain (King difficulty and up) and districts can be a bit fickle to negotiate especially if you have to make that oddball city in the middle of nowhere to get a resource like Oil, Aluminum or another strategic resource (have to make a forest for food). I've tried the Quad City District placement, it works pretty well but the reality is it doesn't necessarily translate into that much of a tactical advantage after the patch. The simplest way to put it is, if you're going to be playing King or higher, get ready for war, period. In Civ V we could Cadillac Turn and enjoy the game worry free in Civ VI, that's another story beyond the Prince Difficulty. I'm not suggesting that King difficulty and up are to be avoided, LOL, I'm simply saying you will be on your toes at all times and the Civ's may look like they're lagging behind, but BOOM all of a sudden they'll get way ahead of you in Culture and Science.
    Last edited by BuzWeaver; 12-04-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    BuzWeaver: YouTube - How To's - Reviews - Gaming - Current Events

If he had titles he'd never leave the house Ulfgaard's Avatar

Arcade

I get kinda tired of the opposing leaders asking for "trades" that have absolutely no value whatsoever except to benefit themselves.

I mean they start doing stuff like, denounce me, then two turns later wanna "TRADE" where they want 2 or 3 amenities, X amount of gold, and 10 gold per turn for NOTHING. And I am like, WTH that's not a TRADE that's highway robbery! So I just ignore them. And I expect I'll be attacked soon, but nothing ever happens?!?

So yeah they need to work on that for sure ...

As for the tri-quad-mega city setup. I use that as much as I can TBH. Trying to maximize production and adjacency bonuses. I also try to build cities up with encampments that I can get overlapping bombardment if at all possible to deal with barbs, and enemy troops whilst keeping my armies attacking beyond my own territory.

Moderator -
    OTG Ambassador

Arcade

I agree with trading.. they tweaked it from originally being in your favor and turned it into unreasonable requests. I couldn't even do a simple swap of one luxury resource for another, even with friendly civs.
    Link on how to pronounce Decebal [-] My guide on forum use [-] Link to the OTG Midwest group

Arcade

I am hating the leader spam, "NO I DON'T WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND OR LET YOU HAVE AN EMBASSY IN MY CITY" Every turn they ask. Its damn annoying.

Game Development - Game Development News Officer - Annoyed by dangling dongles BuzWeaver's Avatar

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    I am hating the leader spam, "NO I DON'T WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND OR LET YOU HAVE AN EMBASSY IN MY CITY" Every turn they ask. Its damn annoying.
    Alliances was a huge advantage when I was double teamed by Monty and Harald. It also allows for Research Development, but the way it works now is that the Civ Leader's selects a particular tech, which is kind of limited. The Research Development is kind of like a Tech Boost and if you think about the amount of turns it takes versus when you yourself do something to get a boost it's nearly trivial or inconsequential to get a Research Development (especially if you're the tech leader). The Alliance comes in handy though when you get attacked because your alliance leader will help you and that's a huge advantage.

At the moment Civ Leader interaction really needs to be tweaked. Don't you think its amusing that we get all this spam information, but we still don't have a notification when one of our cities grows? It blows my mind how that aspect of the game was overlooked.

Arcade

I found this video with an example of this "trading" that the AI attempts here:

Start around 03:35 or so ... You can see what I was talking about

Arcade

Drew along with Marbozir and Quill have pretty much exemplified the fact that you have to be aggressive in the game. I'd argue that you have to be far more aggressive than we would have in Civ V. I've yet to play a game in King difficulty or higher where I wasn't attacked by a neighboring Civ or even two neighboring Civs. In the current play-through as Germany, Greece attacked me early. They were at war with Japan earlier so their armies were pretty depleted. I've since eliminated Greece from the game and I'm going to be making my move towards Egypt. Egypt and Japan both have their capitals cities in line of sight for attack. In other words, they don't have buffer Cities in between their capitals so capturing their capitals shouldn't be to big of an issue. The challenge is going to be finding and attacking the remaining Civs.

The later game is where things can get really challenging as the Civs can quickly run away with the game in Science or Culture.

The Old Timers Guild Chantillary's Avatar

Arcade

I'm going along, being at peace with everyone when all of a sudden I get attacked by a coalition of France and Scythia.

I retaliate by taking one city from each of them, and then they're mad at me because apparently _I'M_ the warmonger because I didn't let them roll over me, and I didn't give their cities back to them after I took them.

I could have razed them and built new cities, but I wanted the resources they were holding on to (France had Coal, and Scythia had Aluminum -- only deposits anywhere on our continent). And razing their cities'd've probably made them even madder at me.

Arcade

Razing cities would have made EVERYONE madder at you They really upped the penalty for razing last patch. Also you get a HUGE hit for taking a civ's last city for some reason now ...

I agree that if you are not the one to declare war and are attacked either by surprise war and/or declared war by a AI civ (or two or three ) You should not be getting warmongering penalties. I mean you are not warmongering after all you are DEFENDING against warmonger(s)

The Old Timers Guild Chantillary's Avatar

Arcade

I discovered a way to lock up the game requiring going back to an autosave to unlock it:

if you're playing as England, your Archaeological Museums have 6 slots to them and the hosting city can support 2 Archaeologists. If you've got 1 Artifact slot available in the Museum and no other museums up and running, and you have both your Archaeologists harvest a site before you click on one to make a decision about it, you'll have nowhere to put the second one and the game doesn't know how to deal with it.

it's not really a lock up, but the game does stall and refuses to progress, and you can't get rid of the Artifact if you've got nowhere to put it.

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Chantillary View Post
    I discovered a way to lock up the game requiring going back to an autosave to unlock it:

if you're playing as England, your Archaeological Museums have 6 slots to them and the hosting city can support 2 Archaeologists. If you've got 1 Artifact slot available in the Museum and no other museums up and running, and you have both your Archaeologists harvest a site before you click on one to make a decision about it, you'll have nowhere to put the second one and the game doesn't know how to deal with it.

it's not really a lock up, but the game does stall and refuses to progress, and you can't get rid of the Artifact if you've got nowhere to put it.
    I've locked up the game entirely after using two archeologist back to back. When I clicked on the retrieve artifact button, it just stayed in the spinning globe mode. I had to quit the game entirely.

Arcade

Very impressive MOD's to improve your Civ VI game play. Presented by Quill18.

Moderator -
    OTG Ambassador

Arcade

That last update really tore into the whole multi-city strategy effectiveness.
    Link on how to pronounce Decebal [-] My guide on forum use [-] Link to the OTG Midwest group

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
    That last update really tore into the whole multi-city strategy effectiveness.
    It seems like it still needs some tweaking. This evening I had disabled China's space program and production to where he needed to repair and restore five different tiles so I moved my Spies to start disrupting Russia. I kept checking China to make sure they were still trying to get those tiles fixed and I was within 16 turns to win and suddenly China won? Strange.

Arcade

Yup still needs tweaking for sure

Arcade

Guys, I have a new Let's Play series. Greece, Pericles, King Difficulty. Stop by as I appreciate your guys support.

Civilization VI Let's Play

SWTOR Assets Officer knightemplar's Avatar

Arcade

Is there a way to get past the 500 turns maximum? I was playing Gandhi for a pure science victory and got hit by the 500 turn maximum saying he ran out of time.

Moderator -
    OTG Ambassador

Arcade

There's an option to uncheck under the victory conditions when you start a game.

Arcade

CAMPER!!...And LM's Friend- 10 Year Member Rance's Avatar

Arcade

You know, I've been a Civ fan since number 1 (in fact I still have it somewhere...yay Microprose!) but this is the first one that hasn't really caught on with me. I find myself going back to V time and again. Maybe it just needs more time. I used to think Sid could do no wrong but then Starships came out.

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    You know, I've been a Civ fan since number 1 (in fact I still have it somewhere...yay Microprose!) but this is the first one that hasn't really caught on with me. I find myself going back to V time and again. Maybe it just needs more time. I used to think Sid could do no wrong but then Starships came out.
    It certainly needs a little more tweaking and I'm hoping well see more substantive updates to help balance it out too.

Arcade

The new Aussie scenario is a lot of fun!!

Arcade

The new DLC is out today: Link

And the new Update Notes: Link

Highlight and important aspect to the update:

Harbors now give a major adjacency bonus with the City Center, +1 Food to all Coast tiles when the Lighthouse is built, and +2 Gold to all Coast tiles when the Seaport is built. Australia now gets +1 for Charming/+3 for Breathtaking on the four affected districts (had been +2/+4) to compensate for the Harbor boost above Royal Navy Dockyard now always provides +1 Trade Route capacity, even if the city already has a Commercial Hub. This makes it more useful, even when England builds it on its home continent.

Adjusted Warmonger penalties for City Population:

When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for capturing a city, reduce that penalty if the city is smaller than the average city in the game as follows:

If the city’s population after conquest is below the average population of all the cities in the game, reduce the warmonger penalty by the percentage that city’s population is below the average.

EXAMPLE: Persepolis is conquered and its population after conquest is 6. But the average size of a city in the game is 8. So this city is 2 / 8 = 25% below the size of the average city in the game. Therefore the warmonger penalty is reduced by 25%.

Moderator -
    OTG Ambassador

Arcade

Thanks for the update update, Buz.

Arcade

Stop by Steam today April 20th and get your free demo of Civilization VI.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information