Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Storm King's Thunder 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with Grapper)

Thursday Storm King's Thunder 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with Grapper)

Well, I know that Daemoro is champing at the bit, so I figured I should get a post started. I'll post a little basic information, but I'm still reading through the material and getting my bearings. I'll update this post with additional information when I've got it ready to go.

Disclaimer:
    This game is for the existing Thursday group, although with a possible opening depending on availability.

Setting:
    Place: Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast and Savage Frontier
    Time: Shortly after Tiamat tried to escape her prison and was cast back into the Nine Hells.

My DMing style:
    I'm a pretty big rules stickler, and I will largely play it by the book. That being said, I will occasionally fudge things in the party's favor if I think it's cool. Every once in a while I may throw in a custom magic item tailored to one of the characters simply because I thought it was a neat idea. While that can increase the party's power immensely, I also rarely pull punches in combat, so death (and potentially party wipe) is a strong likelihood.

About this Campaign:
    Anyone who knows anything about this campaign knows that it deals with giants. Giants are deadly. Encounters will be deadly if you don't play smart (and sometimes even if you do). Fighting may not always be the best option. Run away judiciously. You don't have to be faster than the dire bear, you just have to be faster than your friends. ;-)

The majority of you will start as an already established, but very new, adventuring group. Your characters will know each other, but your knowledge will be basic unless you tie your back stories together. Do have a reason in mind for your character to be an adventurer and cooperate with other adventurers, whether it be riches, fame, a desire to do good, a desire to smash monster face, or whatever. Be creative! Further details to be established as I familiarize myself with the campaign.

Leveling will be accomplished by completing certain major objectives that are known to the DM only! MWAHAHAHA!!

Character Creation
    Ability Scores: Standard 27 point buy (yes, the 15 point ability maximum is in effect, prior to race-adjustments).
    Classes: All standard PHB classes, as well as the options available in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Elemental Evil Player's Companion.
    Races: All standard PHB races, as well as the following: Aarakocra, Genasi, Goliath, Aasimar, Firbolg, Kenku, Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, and Triton. Yes, I do allow for flying races. However, keep in mind that flying can be a great risk as well as a great boon (insert evil GM laugh). If you choose one of the more colorful races, be prepared to play it up. I don't want a Lizardfolk named Bob who was raised by a human farming family so he has human mannerisms. If you play a Lizardfolk, then play a Lizardfolk! Down to the cold blood and sharp teeth! However, you should remember that NPCs will react to you accordingly to how your race is viewed by society in that area. Getting mixed signals? Good! (insert evil GM laugh)

Factions
    You might consider crafting your back story such that your character belongs to one of the five major factions in the region. They are the Harpers, the Lord's Alliance, the Emerald Enclave, the Order of the Gauntlet, and the Zhentarim. You can find descriptions of these groups here: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-...story/factions

These factions may play a part in the overall story, and belonging to one of them could open further play options and adventure hooks. Take a look. It's in a book. A reading rainbow. A reading rainbow!

House Rules (largely TBD):
    Stealth - If you shoot an arrow at someone from a hidden location, then try to hide there again, you will take a penalty for the first attempt at re-hiding in the same spot. There will be no second re-hide. I'm playing the monsters, so they aren't stupid. They know you're behind that rock, because that's where your last arrow came from, and they didn't see or hear you move from there. They expect the next arrow to come from there too.

Flanking - I will let the players vote on this. If the majority decides they want flanking, then flanking will use Pathfinder positioning rules, and for melee only. Flankers would have advantage on their attack rolls.

Dungeon Master's Guide Variants: TBD
    Last edited by Uglybugger; 03-22-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    DDO Character (Ghallanda) - Heffe el Fossa

The Old Timers Guild Teufelhunde87's Avatar

Arcade

Re: Thursday Storm King's Thunder 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with Grapper)

If you guys need a sit in for a while, I can make myself available.
    "Attitude is a small thing that makes a big difference." - Winston Churchill
    Steam: (OTG) Teufelhunde87
    Games: Fantasy Grounds
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter
    Various Sports Board Games

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde87 View Post
    If you guys need a sit in for a while, I can make myself available.
    Heya! If you don't have much going on this Thursday, why don't you meet up with us on Mumble? It may just be a character creation/setup session, but we can still get together and chat and go over options.

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugger View Post
    Heya! If you don't have much going on this Thursday, why don't you meet up with us on Mumble? It may just be a character creation/setup session, but we can still get together and chat and go over options.
    I'll be there! Thanks!
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

Looking forward to this

General Games Officer - Knight of Chutzpah - 10 Year Member Daemoro's Avatar

Arcade

Of course this is up for 2 days before I see it because I've been sick and my brain is slower than usual... so I've been making Clerics. Yes plural. A lot of which one I play will be based on the party makeup. If I'm not mistaken we have A Barbarian, Paladin and Druid. So we have some BASIC healing covered and plenty of up front fighting. What we don't have is a primary healer (which is far different in 5E) and an arcane caster. The Cleric has the ability to cover both of these roles in some cases if we think it's needed.

So these are the loose versions I have come up with so far:
    1- Life Cleric for all it's healing goodness.
    2- Tempest Cleric for normal healing plus some lightning damage.
    3- Light Cleric for normal healing plus fire damage.
    4- Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorcerer X (His name is Krakafoom!) for a bit of healing plus Thunder, Lighting all that kind of thing.

There are probably others available but since I got sick I stopped working on them for a few days.

I probably won't make him a front line "fighter" at all. Although he will likely be wearing heavy armor and carrying a shield. Most of his damage will most likely come from spells. Which means I'm going to be highly dependent on my spell DC's. If the bad guys always save then I'm not doing much.

As always all feedback is welcome.
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

"I'm the funniest person I know."

Arcade

Hmm. Life Cleric with the ability to cast Goodberry. 1st level spell, 10x4hp healing potions.

Quit whining and eat your berries!
    --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoro View Post
    Hmm. Life Cleric with the ability to cast Goodberry. 1st level spell, 10x4hp healing potions.

Quit whining and eat your berries!
    Yes indeedy, and a total of 40 HP from healing at first level is quite OP. However, that does lock you into human varient if you want to start that way. On the plus side, if you do take Magic Initiate to get Goodberry, then you can take Shellelagh to boost your melee damage with your primary casting stat as long as you use a club or quarterstaff, so you COULD be a front liner.

Ive been messing around and made a Bard, just in case the Barbarian isn't the best fit. Also having a spare character pre-made just in case Ugly kills me isn't a bad idea.

i found some good tokens, could you please add them to your selection Ugly

Attached Images Attached Images

I make crappy tokens, so if someone else prepares them, they will likely turn out better.

These use 200 pixels for a medium creature
    Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Thanks Grapper.

thanks Grapper. thought I had already shrunk them before I posted

Its easier to remove the background before shrinking them, so this was better
    Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Arcade

I got errors adding images of these to the forums. I had made some 128 pixel round tokens of these. I tried Insert image and Advanced attach options. I'll try again tonight.
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

No worries, the with Grapper did is perfect for our purposes.

I long since gave up worrying overly much about consistency between tokens. Oftentimes now I just use letter tokens to represent monsters. In the past I spent excessive time making tokens for every NPC in my games, and eventually I decided it just wasn't worth it.

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugger View Post
    No worries, the with Grapper did is perfect for our purposes.

I long since gave up worrying overly much about consistency between tokens. Oftentimes now I just use letter tokens to represent monsters. In the past I spent excessive time making tokens for every NPC in my games, and eventually I decided it just wasn't worth it.
    I know the feeling! Top down, landscape, circle, square.......
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

Arcade

Can you add these to your portraits and tokens? I will update Kevros' character sheet Thursday. Thanks! Token on left portrait right.
    Greg
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

Game night!!

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by EddytEagle View Post
    Game night!!
    Finally!
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

What the hell, Thursday seems to take all week to get here

Arcade

I know right!
    --Daemoro

Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by EddytEagle View Post
    What the hell, Thursday seems to take all week to get here
    And then it goes by so fast! Ugh!
    Fallout 4
    Star Trek Online
    Neverwinter

Arcade

And yet you are late Teuf!
    --Daemoro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information