Hello All...and questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All...and questions...

Hey all! I bought this game for my wife and I at the recommendation of those that answered my post "good games for couples". How have I not heard of this game before now?!?! Anyway, it's MEGA fun. She and I have been playing some and are up to day 4 or 5 and I still feel like a noob and feel like we are gonna die on day 7 LOL. Couple questions: How do you run a persistent server? We started with Alpha 15 on level 2 (knocked it down from 3 because my wife is not much of an FPS gamer) but I'm curious as to what Alpha 16 has that is better so far. Hope to eventually play with some OTGers!
    Luthaias - Albion Online

Previous MMOs: EQ1 - EQ2 - Anarchy Online - EVE Online - LoTRO

For the two of you I personally wouldn't do a persistent server. I play with a buddy of mine every now and again, and one of us just hosts the server for that play through. We typically only play a couple times a week, and with a persistent server we would likely end up logging in on day 49, with only day 2 gear. By just bringing the server up when we are ready to play it allows us 7 days of preparation between each of the blood moons (weekly). I have run the game with up to 4 of us playing at once, just as a local host, and did not have any issues, so even if you were trying to run with a larger group it could be possible without having a persistent server up.

If you do want to play on a persistent server Waldy usually has one up, and I believe a few OTGers play there. Otherwise I believe most people use a hosting service to run their persistent servers, from what I have seen.
    "MMO communities eat their young" - unknown

~ Current Games ~
    Warframe - Findywen
    Steam - [OTG] Findywen
    Battlenet - Findywen#1614 Overwatch Stats
    ~ Previous Games ~
    Marvel Heroes - Fndywen (I am an idiot[or a lepper] and dropped an i)
    75% of those ever released - Findywen, Putok, Summr, Autmn, Wintr or Fieora(only in VG)

Comment

A persistent server is rented usually unless you have the net and a spare server box, they're only around $12-$15 per month for a very basic shared server which is all you need unless you want to host a big group of players or multiple games. The server takes a bit of studying to set up properly, most of these companies have support to help you but mileage may vary. If you don't have much experience with remotely editing files etc but have the patience to learn it could take you a few hours to get working the way you want. One thing to note is that time stops on a persistent server if no one is logged in, so you don't have to worry about logging in just before horde night unless of course someone logged out just beforehand. It's very similar to running a remote host via the game client in that respect.

Waldy is now running 2 servers with default settings, 1 with a regular map and 1 with a randomly generated map both running Alpha 16 I believe. You can PM him for a password, I'm not sure how populated they are or what day it is on the servers but he's a great admin and has already done the work for you. That's your best bet to run across other OTGers. Tatarus was running a Valmod server for 7d2d but I'm not sure if it's still up, I show him as inactive on the forums atm. I occasionally put up a modded server (Valmod or Starvation) but I mostly just play local lately, I enjoy messing with settings and the xml files almost as much as playing the game. This doesn't always end well so I don't usually publish my server info since my messing around effects progress for others.

As for Alpha 16 it added a bunch of content, changed some looting etc, fixed a bunch of bugs and created a few. It's been anticipated so much because the devs tend to patch very slowly but with tons of content since console companies charge big money per patch to update the game. So there's been a long time for people to consume all the content in Alpha 15. If you ever get tired of the base game, mods change the game play a ton but they are manually installed.

Post up if you decide to give Waldy's a try, I'll pop on over if I get a chance.
      Diablo 3(PC) - Btag: Kognos#1500
      Ark(PC) - Steam: Kognos

Comment

Originally posted by Kognos View Post
        One thing to note is that time stops on a persistent server if no one is logged in, so you don't have to worry about logging in just before horde night unless of course someone logged out just beforehand..
        oh cool, i had no idea this was a thing, glad they did that.
        "MMO communities eat their young" - unknown

~ Current Games ~
        Warframe - Findywen
        Steam - [OTG] Findywen
        Battlenet - Findywen#1614 Overwatch Stats
        ~ Previous Games ~
        Marvel Heroes - Fndywen (I am an idiot[or a lepper] and dropped an i)
        75% of those ever released - Findywen, Putok, Summr, Autmn, Wintr or Fieora(only in VG)

Comment

It was a thing in A14 the last time I hosted at least, it might be a setting now since you said you experienced the exact opposite. As a matter of fact that was why I started hosting, the horde used to pick a person and spawn aggroed on them. People would build up until the night or even minutes before blood moon then log and leave it for someone else to handle lol. You can also see day and time from the server browser so as soon as horde would pop people would start logging in knowing they were safe for 7 more days since the horde had already picked a spawn point/person.
          Diablo 3(PC) - Btag: Kognos#1500
          Ark(PC) - Steam: Kognos

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 08:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
          X