This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The role of a CL, XO, and other game staff

Hey, everyone. I feel the need to step in here and clear up any misconceptions that everyone seems to have.

First, I will start with the Chapter Leader, as that seems to be the biggest bone of contention. They are here to facilitate smooth gameplay. What does that mean exactly? They handle all of the drama behind the magic curtain. They deal with their Admin liaison (and me in New Games). They organize the forum structure, the Mumble structure, and they crack skulls when necessary to squash any problems within the chapter. Here is the big one..... They read through all of your opinions and input on the forums and listen to their officers, and then they make all of the tough decisions. THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY. We may sugarcoat it, but the Chapter lead is the dictator within the chapter. Their word is law, and unless it is against the OTG ToS or CoC both myself and the Admin liaison will back them.

This is how we function as a guild. We have one person with the decision making power within the chapter. They may be nice enough to give you a poll in order to get feedback for a decision, but the decision is theirs, and they have to make said decision with the entirety of the chapter in mind... not just the 20% that voted in the poll. In 10 years with OTG I have learned that you cannot please every member. You just have to make decisions to serve the many rather than the few.

The last point of a CL that I want to cover is that they have a lot to deal with in the background, so 9 times out of 10 when you see them in the game they just want to play and be left alone. Pretty sure when I launched GW2 and BDO I was receiving between 25 and 50 PM's a day that I had to deal with.... They are not your rallying point, they don't have to be a constant presence, and they don't need to lead every event the guild runs. In a perfect world, they won't be needed at all for the day-to-day in-game stuff.

This leaves the Chapter XO and the specific role officers (raid, recruiting, events, etc)... The specific role officers should be handling all of the day-to-day in-game stuff. This is what they volunteered for. This is their responsibility. The Chapter XO will act as the person that enforces the CL's decisions within the guild.... herds the lemmings, so to speak. If there is an issue that a specific role officer cannot handle, they need to bring it to the XO. If the XO cannot handle it, then it goes to the Chapter Leader. If it is beyond the Chapter Leader's capacity it goes to myself, and finally to the Admin liaison.... This is the chain of command. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

If anyone has any issues with this, please feel free to send me PM's. As you send that PM, please understand that that is the reason that CL's have so much to do in the background. :D

sigpic

Re: The role of a CL, XO, and other game staff

Copied from elsewhere just to keep here for record keeping purposes.

sigpic

Comment

I think you just brought tears to my eyes.....
      A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

Vladimir Lenin

Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
      Be brave and upright that God may love thee.
      Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death.
      Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

A compliment from the dwarf? Wow....

sigpic

Comment

The comment about not able to please everyone made me chuckle. It's what our parents likely told us time and again (hell mine did many times!), and yet there are still people that seem to think it's possible to please everyone at all times. Either that or they only care about themselves and their wants.

You know...I think I'll stop before I go on a huge rant. My grumpiness has been away for some time, I'd rather not bring THAT out again!

Comment

Originally posted by Poguemohoin View Post
            The comment about not able to please everyone made me chuckle. It's what our parents likely told us time and again (hell mine did many times!), and yet there are still people that seem to think it's possible to please everyone at all times. Either that or they only care about themselves and their wants.

You know...I think I'll stop before I go on a huge rant. My grumpiness has been away for some time, I'd rather not bring THAT out again!

lol my mothers favorite phrase to me was "Want in one hand, shit in the other. See which one fills up faster."
            Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/wolfusetv

Steam: Wolfuse **** Bnet: Kilcon#1661

Elite Dangerous / Star Citizen / Black Desert Online / World of Warcraft / Overwatch

Comment

Hey Drisdane, I was going to ask you to post that on face book so they will read it but, then again never mind some think the web site here is linked to our face book page .

​​WORLD OF WARCRAFT
              ANVILMAR/UNDERMINE SERVER

Comment

There are days I would be happy to please one person... read and understood!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 08:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
                X